Couples With a Partner Who Has HIV
According to the National Institute of Health (NIH), 2.7 million people contracted the human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) in 2009. Currently, it is estimated that around 34 million men, women, and children are living with the disease globally.
In an effort to remedy this growing problem, Gilead Sciences, Inc., created a pre-exposure prophylaxis (PrEP) medication that helps lower the risk of acquiring HIV for people who don’t have it, while also helping those with the disease to manage it effectively in combination with other medications.
While this may seem like some sort of miracle drug, it couldn’t be any further from the truth.
Recently, Truvada — and its makers, Gilead — are under heat as a number of health complications have been linked to its use. To make matters worse, Gilead allegedly knew of these side effects for 10 years and had a safer alternative – but failed to act to protect users.
That means serodiscordant couples that depend on the drug to help lower the risk of contracting the disease are at risk of developing a myriad of other complications all for corporate profit – and that’s where the Truvada lawsuit attorneys of The Law Offices of A. Craig Eiland, PC take great offense.
Do you or your partner take Truvada to manage HIV? Have you suffered from kidney issues or bone-related complications? You may qualify for compensation through a product liability claim. Speak with one of our experienced product liability attorneys today by contacting us at (409) 763-3260 for a FREE case evaluation.
Truvada Complications and Serodiscordant Couples
Serodiscordant couples are defined as couples where one member has HIV and the other does not:
- Sero means blood.
- Discordant means different or non-matching.
In order to lower the risk of spreading HIV from one partner to the other, these particular couples may take certain medications like Truvada.
This prophylactic treatment is made up of two main medicinal components called emtricitabine (FTC) and tenofovir disoproxil fumarate (TDF).
These medicinal components act to reduce the activity of reverse transcriptase enzymes, which are enzymes used by HIV to replicate. The components within Truvada cause the virus to slow down replication and can even stop it altogether. While this may seem like some sort of wonder drug for serodiscordant couples, TDF is the main cause of many bone and kidney complications that they may experience.
To top that all off, Gilead allegedly did not release information regarding these side effects and injuries, while knowing about them for at least 10 years. To make matters worse, they also withheld a safer treatment that contains tenofovir alafenamide fumarate (TAF), which does not cause the same side effects as its TDF counterpart.
Now, serodiscordant couples that have developed debilitating side effects are filing product liability claims to secure the justice and financial recovery they are entitled to. If this resonates with your particular situation, our lawyers can help.
Are you the partner of an individual with HIV? Have you taken Truvada and suffered health complications? Contact the Truvada lawsuit attorneys of The Law Offices of A. Craig Eiland, PC right now at (409) 763-3260 to schedule a FREE legal consultation.
How Does TDF Cause These Complications in Serodiscordant Couples?
This once well-regarded medication that helped reduce the risk of acquiring HIV in serodiscordant couples is now wreaking havoc on their bones, kidneys, and other organs.
The TDF component within Truvada has been discovered to cause the body to break down the calcium and phosphate within bones at a much more rapid pace than is healthy. So much more rapid, in fact, that the body doesn’t have time to regenerate the bone that was lost. This decrease in bone mineral density can leave bones brittle and very easy to break.
In time, this loss of bone can cause:
- Discomfort in extremities
- Bone deterioration or osteoporosis
- Bone loss or osteopenia
- Tooth decay and loss
- Bone fractures
If gone unchecked, bone complications like osteoporosis can develop. Fractures caused as a result of the effects of osteoporosis include breaks in the bones of the wrists, spine, and hips.
TDF-based drugs don’t only affect bone, however. For kidneys, the excess calcium that is being removed from the body can cause:
- Chronic kidney disease
- Declining kidney function/decreased urination
- Acute kidney injury
- Acute renal failure
- Fanconi syndrome
- Kidney failure
Lactic acidosis is another issue that users of Truvada face. This condition causes a pH imbalance in the body, essentially rendering the body more acidic than normal. It is known to cause:
- Decreased appetite
- Rapid heart rate
- Extreme fatigue or exhaustion
- Body weakness
- Overall feelings of discomfort
- Muscle cramps and pain
- Abdominal pain or discomfort
- Breathing troubles
It is worth noting that Truvada is not the only TDF-based medication that could be causing users injuries. Other drugs that contain TDF include:
- Symfi Lo
- AccessPak for HIV PEP Expanded with Kaletra
- AccessPak for HIV PEP Expanded with Viracept
If you are the partner of an individual who is HIV positive and have used Truvada to protect your health but have begun to suffer from any of the complications previously mentioned, it is in your best interest to seek out medical attention immediately.
Your health and well-being should be your main priority.
What to Do After a Truvada-Related Side Effect, Complication, or Injury
Seeking out medical attention should be your priority if you or your partner are suffering from negative side effects caused by Truvada. Not only will you receive better insight into your condition and/or possible treatment, but the documentation that is recorded there can help your Truvada lawsuit should you choose to file one.
Afterward, contact the Truvada lawsuit attorneys of The Law Offices of A. Craig Eiland, PC as soon as possible. It is important to begin the process of investigating your claim so that we can secure the evidence needed to justify a lawsuit. Timing is everything as, depending on your state, statute of limitations may exist that require you to file shortly after the injury occurs.
Determining Liability in a Defective Pharmaceutical Case
In order to determine who is liable for your defective product, an experienced Truvada lawyer must also determine what type of claim you have. Generally speaking, there are three types of product liability claims that can be made:
- Strict Liability – A claim that focuses on the defective product over anything else. An experienced attorney must prove that the product was made defective in the design or manufacturing process, or was wrongfully marketed.
- Negligence – A claim that focuses on determining if the company, manufacturer, or marketer provided adequate and reasonable care to ensure customer or patient safety.
- Breach of Warranty – A claim that focuses on the warranty, regardless of whether it is in writing or implied, and investigates whether the product acted as intended or broke the manufacturer’s warranty, causing you or your partner harm.
After determining liability, your defective pharmaceutical attorney will then want to collect more data, facts, and other compelling forms of evidence regarding Truvada and its history and how it affected you and your partner.
Please do NOT throw away the medication. The medication itself can be used as evidence in your defective pharmaceutical claim.
Other important forms of evidence can include:
- Medical Records – This is one of the most important pieces of evidence that you will need. Medical records will show that you were treated for your injuries caused by Truvada. Additionally, they will provide information about treatments you are undergoing and may have to undergo in the future.
- Medical Bills & Associated Costs – Bills will show how much financial damages you have suffered as a result of the side effects of Truvada.
- Pay Stubs & Tax Returns – These types of financial evidence will show additional economic losses you have suffered. If your injuries affect your ability to work – whether for a short time or indefinitely – then your pay stubs can help to document the financial damages you have suffered and how much you stand to lose in the future.
- Photos/Videos – Photos and/or videos of your injuries – including x-rays – can prove to be the visual cue the court needs to see in order to understand the true extent of your suffering.
- Personal Statement – Another useful piece of evidence is a statement made by the claimant. Recording your statement while all of the information is still fresh can help your case tremendously. Be sure, however, to keep it short, simple, and free of any biases.
- Other Important Documents – Your attorneys will likely request additional forms and can guide you in the process of securing them.
Finally, our lawyers will begin their investigation. With a bevy of legal resources at hand, years of experience under our belt, and professional relationships with medical staff that can give us better insight in how Truvada harmed you, we are more than confident that we can help you secure the justice and financial recovery that is owed to you.
Our strong brand of legal counseling is geared to help serodiscordant couples win maximum monetary compensation that can cover:
- Medical bills (past and present)
- Lost wages and reduced future earnings
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional trauma
- Loss of quality of life
- Loss of consortium
- Wrongful death damages
Gilead Sciences Inc. put your health at risk for their own corporate gain. Make your pain heard by working with the best product liability lawyers today. At The Law Offices of A. Craig Eiland, PC, we will make it our absolute mission to fight for you and your partner in civil court so that you two can focus on recuperating.
Reliable Truvada lawyers that will fight for you.
If you or your partner have suffered from the adverse effects for Truvada, our attorneys can help. Contact the Truvada lawsuit attorneys of The Law Offices of A. Craig Eiland, PC right now at (409) 763-3260 for a FREE case evaluation.